Are You Listening
Listening is a skill. Your skill as a listener can make or break your success in leadership, teams, customer relations, negotiations and a whole host of other relationships. The question is how do you know if you are a good listener or not?
Here are seven “good listener” tips to help you.
1. Stay in the moment – don’t jump to conclusions.
2. Pay full attention to what is being said at all times.
3. Summarize what you hear to make sure you understand what is being said to you.
4. When you hear a need, acknowledge it and comment on its importance.
5. Look for an opportunity to link together what the other person is saying to a point you want to make or clarify.
6. Resist the temptation to offer a solution or lecture the person.
7. DO NOT INTERRUPT OR TALK OVER THE PERSON.
Decide if these are listening skills that you currently have.
If not, determine what you must do to demonstrate these qualities on a consistent basis.